Friday, September 4, 2009

The LaRose Social Club

Immanuel Spencer Whitfield Wilkins










On Monday I was treated to the surprise of my life. Jazz On My Mind took another trip to Philadelphia to get ready for the Tony William's Scholarship Jazz Festival 2009 Awards show. This program is to take place on Monday September 7, 2009 at LaRose Social Club. Every Monday is Tony Williams jazz jam session, and believe me they not only jam, they cook. Tony invites musicians from all over to come and get down to the best jazz in town. The LaRose Social Club is located at 5531 Germantown Ave. Mr. LaRose and his club manager Ananias Jean-Louis do a wonderful job of making you feel at home. I was treated to boneless fried chicken, green beans, candy yams, greens, salad and cornbread. The food was delicious. I love this club. Now you know what they say, the biggest surprises come in the smallest packages. How about a 12 year old who plays saxophone like he is 40. His name is Immanuel Spencer Whitfield Wilkins and when he told me he has seen me on our website, I knew he was special. It is not normal for a kid to master a sax at his age. I was even more surprised when Immanuel presented me with a resume and a DVD of him performing at the famous Clef Club in Philly. I had to ask him for his autograph. He has been covered by CBS and, Exit Zero magazine. His performance resume is so long I cannot list it all in the blog. Just stay tuned because he and his dad Garcia Wilkins have promised me an extensive interview and I cannot wait to get this prodigy on Jazz On My Mind. So, thank you Mr. LaRose and Ms. Jean-Louis for the wonderful hospitality. We will be back. What a true surprise!


Thank you and God bless,

Richard F. Blackwell

1 comment:

  1. Yo Immanuel, keep up the good work.Your on your way now.
    Ikechi Onyenaka

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave any comments