Tuesday, October 20, 2009


Wilby was my friend!
When Jazz On My Mind arrrived on the east coast from Los Angeles June 2009, we we looking for the best jazz musicians for our viewers in our quest to go coast to coast. In Wilmington Delaware we found such a group, The Alfie Moss-Dexter Koonce Project www.alfiemoss-dexterkoonceproject.com.  This group is so tremendous I call them 'the heart and soul of jazz' on the east coast. They feature Alfie on vocals, Dexter on keyboard and guitar, Charles Beasly on bass and one of the greatest drummers ever to pick up a set of sticks, Wilby Fletcher on drums. You can see their performances and interview in our video section. As I continue to pen this story it is very hard for me to control my emotions. On Thursday, October 15, I talked about him all day long. I spoke about was how great a drummer Wilby is. I had a very insightful and special interview with Wilby in September which you must see. It also is in our video section.Then late Thursday night I received a call fron Dexter Koonce telling me Wilby was no longer on this earth. He had passed on to his next life with our Creator and Savior, Jesus Christ. It took a few moments to click- I had talked about this man all day, I was looking foward to announcing Alfie and Dexter's band with Wilby on Saturday in Rehobeth Beach. You see I am now their master of ceromonies. I love them as entertainers and people, and even though I knew him only 3 months, I knew Wilby was my friend. During times without the band, we would see each other in the city and talk jazz. We would call each other and talk jazz. Wilby knew jazz. and belive me jazz will miss Wilby. Of course we did not know our interview would be his last, and to me it will be one of my most treasured. Wilby my friend, I miss you, but you will always live on Jazz On My MInd.com. Let us all pray for strenght for his family and lets continue to pray for each other,"you dig". Rest in peace brother Wilby
Thank you and God bless


Richard F. Blackwell

1 comment:

Please feel free to leave any comments